Mario and Sonic Together in 2D with Story Mode!!
IRVINE, Calif. – September 4, 2019 – Mario, Sonic, and friends are getting ready to make history on their home turf in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, but they’re going to need your help to overcome their biggest challenge yet.
Trapped in Tokyo 1964!
Dr. Eggman and Bowser have formed a powerful alliance in their latest plot to defeat Mario and Sonic. Their plan? Unleashing Eggman’s latest invention, the Tokyo ’64 console that contains the power to pull users inside a 2D game themed around the Olympic Games Tokyo 1964.
Will they ever safely return from the game world of 1964, and if so, how?
Lots of fun minigames, characters and Olympic Games trivia!
Experience lots of fun minigames that use familiar Tokyo landmarks in unexpected ways, like climbing Tokyo Tower, finding the yellow Toad at Shibuya Scramble, and seeing if Sonic can out-race a bullet train. You’ll also learn fun trivia (Did you know the new stadium roof is made of material collected from each prefecture of Japan?), unlock hidden characters, and explore the different venues of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 and 1964!
What you need to know about Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020:
- Brand New Story: Help Mario & Sonic escape from a 2D-themed console, the “Tokyo ’64.”
- 10 Classic 2D Events: Experience Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games in a brand-new way with classic 2D versions of 10 events from the Olympic Games Tokyo 1964.
- Plus, New 3D Events: Surfing, Skateboarding, Karate, and Sport Climbing add to the other 17 seminal 3D events already represented. With so many options to choose from, everyone has a sporting chance!
- Many Ways to Play*: Exclusively on Nintendo Switch, determine who the real champion is while using the fun and flexibility of Joy-Con controllers to your advantage.
- Split-Screen and Online Fun**: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 delivers multiplayer, both local split-screen and online, fun for all ages and groups.
- Play with a Cast of Fan-Favorite Characters: Choose from the star-studded Mario & Sonic family, including Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Knuckles, Peach, Amy, Dr. Eggman, Yoshi, Tails, Metal Sonic, Donkey Kong and more!
Enjoy 10 different classic 2D events with friends and family:
- 10m Platform (Diving)
- 400m Hurdles
- Gymnastics – Vault
- Kayak Single (K-1) 1000m
- Long Jump
- Shooting – Trap
You will also dash, jump, climb, surf and more in 21 3D events:
- 110m Hurdles
- 4 x 100m Relay
- Canoe Double (C-2) 1000m
- Discus Throw
- Equestrian – Jumping
- Football (Soccer)
- Gymnastics – Floor Exercise
- Javelin Throw
- Karate – Kumite
- Rugby Sevens
- Skateboarding – Park
- Sport Climbing
- Surfing – Shortboard
- Swimming – 100m Freestyle
- Table Tennis
- Triple Jump
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 will take to the starting blocks exclusively for the Nintendo Switch on November 5 in the Americas for $59.99 USD and November 8 in Europe with commensurate pricing. For more information, including where you can pre-order the game, be sure to visit the official website.
*Joy-Con functionality does not extend to all events.